Your lower expander is an important part of your treatment because it will provide you with much of the space necessary for future alignment of your lower teeth. An expander requires responsibility on your part; the most important responsibilities are keeping the expander clean and wearing it 24 hours per day. Here are a few additional recommendations:
- Brush all sides of your lower expander each time you brush your teeth.
- For additional cleaning, you may use retainer cleaner or denture cleaner, but please do not soak the retainer in mouth rinse (it will weaken the expander).
- If your lower expander is removable, please remove it when eating or cleaning your teeth.
- Do not eat gum, sticky foods, or candy containing sugar with your expander in place.
- Remember to turn your lower expander once every three days (unless otherwise instructed).
Also important is avoiding hard, sticky, chewy foods that could damage your braces. Foods to avoid include, but are not limited to:
- Bubble Gum (sugar or sugarless)
- Hard Sourdough Pretzels
- Snickers Bars
- Hard Bagels
- Laffy Taffy
- Swedish Fish
- Apple and Carrots should be sliced thin to eat
- Beef Jerky
- Kettle Chips
- Gummy Bears
- Chewing on pens or pencils
- Bottle Caps
Don’t worry!! There are plenty of foods you can eat, including most of the foods that mom would have at the dinner table. Our patients enjoy meats, pastas, cooked vegetables, ice cream, milkshakes, cake, chocolate, and much, much more!!
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions! With your help, we will provide you with a healthy, beautiful smile!!
The Team at Shoe Orthodontics