Congratulations on starting your orthodontic treatment! Your expander is one of the most important parts of your treatment because it will provide you with an upper jaw size that will allow for future alignment of your teeth.
- Brush twice a day for 2 minutes each time (although NOT required, we recommend Colgate Total toothpaste)
- Swish with mouth rinse OR use a Waterpik twice a day for at least 30 seconds each time (although NOT required, we recommend ACT or Listerine)
- Floss with orthodontic flossers (currently available at Walmart and Weis, etc)
At the beginning of your orthodontic treatment, it is not uncommon for wires to start poking or braces to pop off occasionally due to moisture in the mouth during placement, types of food being eaten (hard or sticky), etc. Don’t panic! Just call the office to schedule an appointment to reattach the braces. It is not necessary to be seen the same day unless you are experiencing extreme discomfort.
Also important is avoiding hard, sticky, chewy foods that could damage your braces. Foods to avoid include, but are not limited to:
- Bubble Gum (sugar or sugarless)
- Hard Sourdough Pretzels
- Snickers Bars
- Hard Bagels
- Laffy Taffy
- Swedish Fish
- Apple and Carrots should be sliced thin to eat
- Beef Jerky
- Kettle Chips
- Gummy Bears
- Chewing on pens or pencils
- Bottle Caps
Don’t worry!! There are plenty of foods you can eat, including most of the foods that mom would have at the dinner table. Our patients enjoy meats, pastas, cooked vegetables, ice cream, milkshakes, cake, chocolate, and much, much more!!
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions! With your help, we will provide you with a healthy, beautiful smile!!
The Team at Shoe Orthodontics